September 10, 2014

Wordless Wednesday - Marzano Response Cards

I'm linking up with Miss DeCarbo for this week's Wordless Wednesday link-up party.
Using paint samples from Wal-Mart (warning not all Wal-marts carry the Disney paint samples, so I picked up Ralph Lauren samples from Home Depot) in white, red, yellow, green, and blue. I had my intern assemble these student response cards to align to our class "Rate Your Learning" scale.  Since these swatches were essentially free I won't be too annoyed when one of the cards break.

As students are working on their assignments throughout the day, they can personally rate their learning using these response cards on their desk by flipping to the card that best matches their current level of comfort with the subject matter.  For example, if they are struggling and need help, they will flip to the red card (1) - and it will serve as an extra alert to me that they need immediate reteaching.  The response cards are definitely intended to be flexible where at one point they may be experiencing great success and are at a level 4 with their learning but then they reach word problems and need to flip down to a level 2.

Also, I plan on training how peer tutors (those who have rated themselves as  a level 4 expert - blue) may assist others (those who have rated themselves a level 2 - yellow) once their work is done.  I'm hoping this works wonders to increase students tracking their academic progress alongside our data binders! :)



1 comment:

  1. I use Marzano's 1-4 scale both for myself and for student self-assessment! I am OBSESSED with your awesome idea with the paint chips. Can someone say brilliant?!?!?! Thanks so much for sharing!
    -Lindsey
    It's Elementary, My Dear! Wordless Wednesday

    ReplyDelete