June 11, 2019

ELA Homework to Boost Rigor & Reading Stamina

Do you know what's MISSING from the "newly adopted" ELA curriculum my district bought last year?  A LOT!! If you're struggling with supplementing resources to align what your students practice with to how they will be assessed on ELA standards, then changing up your homework routine may be the answer like it was for me!

I began using this weekly homework format with my 4th grade class at a Title 1 school, and the parents loved the consistency.  Compared to other years, I saw an increase in oral reading fluency (ORF) progress, and confidence while taking computerized reading tests.  My students also showed WAY MORE stamina when it came to the LOOOOONNNNGG reading passages they were assigned!
ELA homework for 3rd, 4th & 5th grade
First of all, I assign my weekly homework by passing out the new packet on Monday and making it due on Friday.  If there's a holiday at the beginning of the week, I just send it home on the first school day of the week.  There are several families who appreciate having the flexibility of getting homework done around their schedule and not tied down to such a tight deadline.  As a result, I've experienced a higher completion rate of homework when it's checked on a weekly vs. nightly basis.

Here's HOW It Works:

The front cover page serves as a checklist for students to complete throughout the week.


  • Fluency : Repeated Readings  If you're a fan of close reading, then you know the importance of having repeated reads.  Each weekly homework pack requires students to read the high interest text three times during the week.  After the student has read on 3 separate occasions, then they get to check off the Fluency box.  The parent initials/comments box is helpful for me to see which words the student may have struggled with and holds the student more accountable for reading the text aloud to a family member or guardian. 
  • WIDE Reading Choices  This part of the weekly homework routine allows for student choice.  There are 9 reading activities a student may choose which range from independent reading to writing a letter from the point of view of the main character in the assigned text, or even researching some new information.  Typically I just have students staple any of their WIDE reading choices to the back of the packet.  Like before, the student has to complete 3 of the activities to check off the WIDE reading box.
 ELA homework to BOOST stamina
  • Comprehension Check  I typically recommend for my students to respond to the questions only AFTER they have read the text for a second time.  This will have helped them to gain a better understanding before attempting the questions.  Similar to the ELA tests my students take in the spring, there are trick questions and they are text-dependent, so they must refer back to the passage to verify they have chosen the BEST answer!  I created the layout to position the text page next to the questions page because it bothers me when I have to flip the page in order to respond to questions. #theSTRUGGLEisREAL Fortunately, it just takes away one more barrier to success and gives students a bit more consideration.  With practice, students become really good at the test prep strategies involved when answering the 5 multiple choice questions.   After, students must respond in complete sentences to the FIVE "Get the Gist" prompts provided.  There's even a column for students to record the paragraph #s in which they located their answer.  This helps to train them to show their work even in ELA!
 ELA homework to boost RIGOR

  • Focus Skill Enrichment Page  I like to sprinkle in heavy-hitter RL, RI and L standards as a way to spiral in the ELA curriculum.   There's normally an example given so students have a greater level of support to be successful, especially if completing the assignment independently without an adult nearby.  As a kid, I recall my working parents busily prepping dinner, cleaning the house, and/or relaxing on the couch from an exhausting day.  They were never doting on me to help me complete my homework because that was MY responsibility.  Overall, the rule of thumb I share with families is each separate page shouldn't take more than 15 minutes for their child to complete as long as they are working without distraction.

Are you ready to implement a CONSISTENT homework resource aligned to ELA standards which will allow students the opportunity to grow as readers, and boost rigor along the way?  After implementing this homework system along with tracking student data, my class scored 96% proficient on the end of year ELA test!!

If you still aren't convinced, maybe these ACTUAL TEACHER REVIEWS of how this Common Core Reading Homework bundle improved their class' success & even changed their mindsets about homework may help!
 ELA homework teacher review 1
 ELA homework teacher review
 ELA homework teacher review




No comments:

Post a Comment