August 15, 2016

Back To School: "Most Wanted" Bulletin

 This is my 3rd year in a row making sure I let my students know that they are the "Most Wanted" kiddos around out of the entire school.  Of course, that's just because I'm biased they're mine for the upcoming year!  Even better, it makes a pretty darn stinking cute Back to School "Most Wanted" Bulletin!
I happened to succumb to the peer pressure of my teaching colleagues and supplied props for my students to take a photo with at "Meet the Teacher" Night!  My teammate who did an "ocean theme" had arm floaties, goggles, a snorkel, a lei, and a beach ball for her students to pose with!  I tend to just stick with a black & white color scheme, so I went with a "Western Outlaw / Bandido" idea since 4th graders study state history and I teach in Arizona!  Luckily, while I was at Goodwill on one of their 50% off Sale Saturdays, I found what I needed (a cowboy hat & a red bandana) for less than $5.  Pretty good deal since it's already given me three class sets of precious photos!
Typically I can't waid to read aloud the book, Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner, which is a favorite 1st day of school tradition of mine because it connects to me in many ways.    I love humor - this always guarantees laughs!  I love singing - there are many festive tunes which require group particiption!  I adore chihuahuas - yes, I own 3, and not to mention Skippy is obsessed with being one!  Finally, I enjoy getting to show off my Spanish-speaking skills and connecting with my students from similar backgrounds!
 After reading, we go through the steps of the writing process for our very first written assignment of the school year!  We discuss what "Most Wanted" qualities means.  Then, we brainstorm a list of Skippy's "Most Wanted" qualities and add them to a bubble map / web.  Next, after I've emphasized we'd like to focus on positive attributes for this assignment, and I've created an example of at least 6 attributes, we're ready to move onto the students listing impressive qualities about themselves!
The two student work samples above are from my very first class I completed this project with.  That year, I found some "aged" looking stationery on clearance at Hobby Lobby, so I just printed the WANTED heading on address label stickers which we put at the top of each page.  Then, I had students publish their final copies on a 4x6 ruled index card.  Each year after that, I haven't had the same luck with finding the right paper, so I decided to make my own printable WANTED posters.  Click below to add the COMPLETE resource to your Back-to-School plans!

Well it's past my bedtime on a Sunday night, so in a muy, muy soft voice, I will whisper: Buenas noches, mis amigas!


No comments:

Post a Comment